Friday, July 21, 2006

Pulling the Trigger

If you had what you wanted in your sight would you pull the trigger, or would you hesitate?

To that question I would like to think, as most of you would as well, that if I had what I have wanted for a while, whether it be an object, an idea, or a person, I would not hesitate to act in order to get what I wanted. Granted, getting a person is different as you have a whole other set of feelings and emotions, not to mention baggage to deal with, but you get my drift. It seems so mind-blowingly obvious that yes, of course I would act! Why wouldn't I? However I know a lot of people, myself included, that have stalled in the face of obvious victory... To which I wonder this: why do we fail to act when what we want is within our reach?

This notion seems black and white: act and you shall receive, yet really when all things are equal, getting what we want is a shade of grey. Why do we hesitate, and we all have, knowing that in a moment our "prey", be it a crush, a purse, or a promotion, can slip away? I know the story, I've heard the cliches: your co-worker next to you, or your fellow student, did not get that promotion/9.0 GPA by sitting on her ass. *Insert famous person here* did not get *whatever made them famous* without action on his/her part. And I didn't get that last pair of mint green pointy toed sling back BCBGs for 40$ by waiting for them to literally come to me. So why the hesitation on some things? Why do we stop and think about items we want the most, only to see someone else grab the prize?

A Manolo-lite, or anyone really, cannot wait around forever. Not for a job, not for that Nine West shoe in your size at a sale, and most certainly not for a significant other you would describe as a "catch". You cannot describe someone or something as a "catch" unless you have caught them. And that involves pulling the trigger.

It's one thing to know what you want to do, or who you want to be with. That's great, I mean, you're almost there. But almost doesn't count. The fact that you are acting, that you are actually doing something is commendable. I know a lot of people who are either stuck in or cemented to a state of mediocrity who refuse to act unless their life depended on it. But herein lies the rub: your life DOES depend on it. Who else is going to live out your life? Granted your actions however small they are get you moving, but not everything or everyone will meet you half way. And any previous actions mean nothing if you cannot seal the deal; the problem with hesitation is that opportunities do not wait, and neither do I.

Hunting for what you want, working towards it, whatever, requires patience, perseverance, and passion. I'm not talking about an instant gratification, but a slow burning desire for something or someone that you've had in your vision. Maybe it's that degree you're studying for, or for that promotion at work you're applying to, or that special someone you've flirted with for months but can't seem to cross that threshold of friendship into intimacy. You figure, "well nothing is going to happen anyway" so you do nothing... Therefore nothing happens because you're not pulling the trigger... You're not even giving yourself a chance to.

I understand that pulling the trigger is easier said than done; that it is embarrassing, nerve-wracking, and sometimes just plain crazy. However, and there is always a however, the victory at the end when you finally get your hands on what you want, is insurmountable. The pleasure is indescribable. I know this because I have experienced both: the pleasure of achieving my goals, and the pain of knowing what I could have had, what I could have done, or who I could have done, had I simply pulled the trigger. And let me tell you, the latter hurts a hell of a lot more than any action I have taken to achieve my goals.

So ladies (and gents), if there is something in your life that you really want, and I mean really want, go ahead and pull the trigger (figuratively, of course). Apply for that job or that program. Buy those ridiculous cheap shoes. Ask that girl/guy out. And even if it's not meant to be, it's a lot easier to move on knowing the truth rather than living on misguided thoughts of maybe's and whatifs.

No comments: