Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Into the Fire

... from one extreme to another

I'm going to school. University, I guess. Granted I am nowhere near Virginia, nor was I nowhere near Dawson College back in September. I am in no way, shape or form related to Virgina Tech or Dawson College, save for living in Montgomery County back in the 90s. But I am a student - I am a part of the university and college community here,there and everywhere.

And I'm going to school.

Back in September my college issued a statement regarding the Dawson College rampage, saying that they had a contingency plan in case of emergencies like this. Which got me thinking then and now - after waking up to the news on the radio, on the television, on the front covers of the Citizen, Sun, Metro, and 24 (hours & heures)... how sad it is that in 2007 we even have to have a plan in place for the potential of mass murder in an institution for higher learning. It just doesn't make any sense to me...

But I have an exam to write today - much like those students did too. And I am not going to let the images and talk of fear prevent me from getting my degree... or getting anything else in life that I really want. So I am going to school; and I am going to the gym; and I am going.

I hope you are too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Atta girl!

Carrie said...

Thanks Ruby!!

Anonymous said...

Love the empowering thoughts!

Carrie said...

Thanks Desiree!!