Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Ask and Ye Shall Wait...

… or Go Get It and Save Yourself the Trouble

I don’t ask for a lot of things. I’m stubborn like that. I’d rather do something for myself or get something by myself rather than have to rely on someone else to do it for me. Perhaps it is a cynical view I carry that really, the only person you can rely on is yourself, but think about it. If you need something, say a cup of coffee or a manicure, I am not the kind of person to wait for it to come to me or project my needs onto whoever is closest to me when it would take less effort to stand up and get it myself. From what I have experienced thus far, people are too busy worrying about what they have to do than to really take the time to do something for you, so why bother when it’s nothing off your back to do it? Having to work around someone else’s priorities sounds a hell of a lot harder than working around your own, and at least you’ll have an idea of when whatever you need will be done. A few of my friends refer to this belief as my innate independence; I just see it as common sense, and I can’t be the only one.

I was having dinner with Pete one night and we got to talking about how I somehow managed to break my TV by turning it off on a Thursday night after “The Office” and “Grey’s Anatomy”. He had asked me if I was planning on getting it fixed, to which I replied “well I don’t know” and still don’t know. Although it being an inopportune time, seeing how “Grey’s Anatomy” is now on for 3 hours a week, (same as a standard university lecture; coincidence? I think not!), getting my television fixed would require me having to rely on a few things: first, a TV repair man, if they even still exist, and having to work around his schedule or even worse have to lug the damn thing somewhere in my non-existent car with my not-so-legal-by-myself license, so second someone else with a car and a heart of gold. Neither option was too pleasing to me, so until a better one pops into my head I’m just not going to do anything about it.

This made Pete burst out laughing at my natural stubbornness, mentioning that he a) has a car and b) would be willing to take me to get it fixed. However, Pete knows me pretty well and through his chuckles threw out there that I would “carry that thing on your back and drag it down the street yourself!” his emphasis on yourself. I know that eventually I will break down and get my television fixed, or buy a new one, but still… it does not take away from the fact that I do not like to ask or rely on anybody else for anything.

Now I admit there are a few things that I simply cannot do for myself and thus rely on other people. Brazilians for example. I mean, I guess I could do it in theory, however I cannot inflict that much pain upon myself willingly, thus I pay almost 50$ every 5 weeks for my waxer to do it for me. I also can’t drive, but living in the city not many twenty-something students do who live on their own. So I rely on the bus to get me places that I can’t or really shouldn’t walk to. And finally, I cannot survive without my friendships which means in the end relying on other people. It is true that no woman is an island, but at the same time there is nothing stopping any capable girl (or guy for that matter) from being independent and self-reliant.
I guess it’s the “some else will do it” mentality that plagues a percentage of the population, tying into the fact that nobody cares what happens so long as it doesn’t happen to them, but if it does well someone better be there to fix it and that someone better not be me! It’s a shame that the percentage of this lazy population is unfairly clumped into my generation, the twenty-something Echo’s of the Baby Boomers who to some people gave us everything except the value of hard work. Granted yes, the majority of these lazy freeloaders I speak of are in my generation, but I know quite a few people in my age-range who gladly work for their own money, clean their own apartments, maintain their own cars, and basically are as independent as a twenty-something student can be. That being said, I’ve run into more than my fair share of sponges who create messes but refuse to even acknowledge them, let alone clean them up for themselves.

I know a few people who believe that it is much easier for another person to do whatever needs to be done and for some things I agree. It is much easier to have someone clean your apartment, for example, or for someone to cook for you and change your light bulbs 2 months after they have burned out. However I can’t for the life of me understand people who do as little as possible every chance they get, as if they are deflecting the smallest task just so that they don’t have to do anything or use anything of themselves. I’d think that consistently delegating any and all tasks to someone else would cause more stress, not less. I mean, what if they don’t do what you ask them on time, or at all? What if they forget? What if they simply do not feel like it? It seems to me that you’re creating more complications by hoping that someone else will take care of it than solving the same problems on your own.

No comments: