Monday, May 07, 2007

The Good Mascara

Now before I start anything, I must admit that I am not one to deny myself ‘the good stuff’ – be it clothing, shoes, food or wine. I figure that if I have to spend money on necessities of daily living (and all above are truly necessary) you may as well spend that little bit more for the best. So has been my mantra since I got my first part time job at the tender age of 16 but until recently there was one aspect of my necessities that I still felt a bit guilty for over-indulging in.

Make up.

Before I turned 16 the only make up I truly owned was a silver eye liner I purchased from the dollar store for one of my schools famous Electric Circus dances that, as a 8th and 9th grader, was ecstatic and excited to finally be able to attend. However with the move to a new school with higher expectations all around, I began to meander at the make up counters at The Bay and Sears, wondering if what those girls spent hours on in the change room putting on their face really made a difference. Not to mention that with said-make up on their faces in public I felt pretty plain, and on bad days ugly, in comparison – which didn’t make any sense to me then and now, because their beauty was store bought and, along with all the time spent making themselves up, was washed away at the end of the day. But me being me - young and naïve – still went to the mall one day after school to ‘follow the trend’ and try and fit in.

So again, at the tender age of 16, I bit the bullet and purchased my first non-drug store piece of make up. Still missing my high school of choice I opted to stop at the MAC make up counter for whatever it was that I needed. Now I was never good at applying anything to my face, so I stuck with the absolute basic: concealer. Thanks to my mother’s south pacific ageless skin, foundation and powder were unnecessary and not to mention expensive for a 16 year olds budget!! So I settled for paying the (at the time) outrageous price of 17$ for a mini-tub/pot of concealer and rushed home, nervous and excited, to put it on. The gentleman behind the counter wasn’t too helpful in the application process – basically he just said put it on under your eyes using your finger. Now, me having 10 fingers to choose from (I am ambidextrous – writing with my right hand but highlighting and doing everything else under the sun with my left hand) and no concept whatsoever in proper application – I fussed about in my bathroom trying to ‘blend in’ the streaks of medium beige cream that I had scooped out of the little and seemingly endless pot.

It honest to God took me about a week to get the concealer just right, but boy oh boy was it ever worth it! All of a sudden the bags underneath my eyes disappeared, my eyes ‘popped’ with the illusion of wakefulness, and of course, the boys started paying a bit of attention to the short brown no longer plain but still average looking brunette in the growing heard of tall blonde skinny beauties that roamed their hallways. And to this day I have never ever left my house with at least a hint of concealer under my eyes – or for days when it’s truly a struggle - sunglasses.

It wasn’t until the tender age of 21, so less than a year ago, was I introduced to true ‘grown up’ make up. After being a loyal MAC girl for so long, my co-worker friend who used to work with said ‘grown-up’ make up, almost wrung my neck when I told her I was a) still using MAC concealer and b) I hadn’t replaced it in almost a year and a half. Hm – apparently that’s bad. Anyway with a bit of arm twisting and threatening I switched from MAC to Make Up Forever and added expensive mascara (DiorShow Unlimited) to my repertoire that, thankfully, I could still only spend 5 minutes on my face as I rush out the door.

And I’ve never looked back… that is, until a few days ago.

It had been over 6 months (which apparently in the make up world is sacrilegious) since I had replaced both my concealer and my mascara. I didn’t mind replacing the concealer, since I used it every day… but I was having the worst time actually throwing away the DiorShow tube – its beautiful navy blue colour with silver lettering was just too nice to all of a sudden stop using. But then I realized – I wasn’t upset because it was so pretty, or that I had spent 23$ on mascara that I was throwing away… I was upset because, in the 6+ months I had it in my possession… I had only used it, at most, once or twice a week. And that is being generous.



I sat back in my chair at work contemplating this very notion – not just of mascara, but of everything in general. I know plenty of people that save those ‘special’ items, be it China, a dress, shoes, make up… for special occasions only – however most times those special moments are few and far between or at worst, nonexistent. I was saving my DiorShow mascara for true occasions: nights out, dinners, dances… but with my schedule dedicated to nursing and work, I never really had the chance to feel that extra bit pretty, or take that extra care of myself just for the hell of it. I had ‘every day’ mascara, you know, the kind you get for 6$ at the drug store, that had been used more often than the DiorShow for no other reason than it was cheaper. And now I had to let it go – bacteria growth and clumping had started so rationally it was best to get rid of it before problems arise – before it had the chance to reach its full potential, or at least, reach half way down the tube?

While I was waiting for Vegas to pick me up from a night of shopping I meandered over to the Dior counter at the Bay, where the lovely manager assisted me in the purchase of my new mascara – DiorShow with shimmer. As I put my credit card down to pay for the mascara and lip gloss (what can I say? J’adore Dior!)I made a promise to myself that, no matter what day it was, no matter what I was doing, and no matter how foolish I felt, I would wear the good mascara and get as much out of it as I had put in. Which got me thinking… that if I can start at mascara, I ought to extend that sense of living the good life to everything before it’s too late. I mean, I can replace mascara without looking foolish, but I can’t replace this time of my life later on because I was ‘saving’ it too for something special. It already is something special, or at the very least can be. All I need to do is seize the chance.

Oh, and to put on the good mascara.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently had the same ephiphany with my benefit hoopla bronzer. Saving it... for what? When I wore it I felt extra lovely and didn't I deserve to feel that EVERYDAY? So, I'm wearing my $32 bronzer everyday and loving it. Seems like money well spent. As for the Dior mascara.. I think I will have to check it out!

George said...

Carrie ... sounds like a current Labatt commercial ... there's the good stuff and there's the OK stuff. Why settle for the ... OK stuff when you can have the ... good stuff.

Bre said...

Thanks to my cheekbones, I need to use some sort of powder or cream under my eyes daily... dark circles are the bane of my existance!!

But other than that expense, most of my makeup is cheap-o. And honestly? I don't allow myself to see the difference! :)

Sarah N said...

Moi aussi J'adore Dior! That is MY smell, the one I spray in fiance's letters and on my pulse points. But Lancome L'Extreme will be my mascara until the day I die (and I suppose, after the day I die cuz they put makeup on you when you're dead, right?)

Anonymous said...

I've been having similar thoughts. I'm always saving for the someday special... so I recently went out and bought myself a Coach purse! I've wanted one for awhile but being the 'save it for a rainy day girl' that I can be...I couldn't get myself to buy one! So I did it and you know what? As superficial as it sounds - it makes me happy!

Mel said...

I just save myself the spending grief and wear regular mascara every day on every occasion. I LOVE to spend money on things as you well know but makeup has never been one of them. Today I'm wearing none at all. BUT if I were to spend money on makeup you have the right idea...use it love it!

p.s. I have a small urge to buy some of the mentioned mascara...if you get me hooked you're in trouble ;)

Beth said...

I am always looking for a good mascara. Thanks for the tip! I, too, spend more on make up than I should. But some things are just worth it!

B said...

I am a sephora whore so I am not one to talk but mascara- I use maybelline the old pink and green standby- just replace it often enough so it's always fresh ( every month) and it works just as good as anything else I tried- even the popular Lancome.

but again I am a sephora whore so use what makes you happy.

Princess Banter said...

Me toooooooo! I adore make up! I rarely leave the house without it even if it's just going out to the grocery. I have a cupboard filled with make up -- and I think it's bigger than my storage space for my socks :P Cheers to the creator of mascara -- is indeed a god :P

Tbone said...

Don't save the good things for a special occasion...live for the now and hope that everyday is special, and look damn good doing it!

Deadmanshonda said...

love it...

megabrooke said...

i love this post. it's so very girly!

i, like b, use the good ole' green and pink bottle of mabyline.

however, i dont skimp on things like face moisturizers, face washes, perfumes, SHOES, etc.

Carrie said...

@ brandy – OOH! I’ve never tried bronzer but it sounds gorgeous! And yes – why let it sit in the bottle instead of illuminating your face? AND when it makes you feel that little bit extra? Right on sista!

@ George – oh Labatts: I must admit that I saw that commercial for the first time last night and yeah – this kind of reminds me of it too. I’m a Keiths/Guinness girl myself… with the exception of 10.50 $ Canadian at a Sens game.

@ Bre – For the longest time, and I guess until recently, drug store makeup never completely matched my skin tone. It’s hard to describe and even harder to match, but I was smack in the middle of the available “beige” and “ivory” – too light for “dark” but too dark for “ivory” and “beige” looked horribly awkward against my skin from the likes of Cover Girl, Rimmel, Maybelline etc… (Think the skin colour of Alessandra from Victoria’s Secret) That’s why I ventured to The Bay in the first place in hopes that they would find a match – plus I also didn’t mind the extra service. Of course, this was 6+ years ago, almost 7, so drug store make up has evolved quite nicely but to this day nothing blends as well as my Make Up Forever. But hey – in the end it doesn’t matter what you use so long as it makes you feel good!!


@ anothertwentysomething – OH J’adore Dior! I’ve got it as my religion on Facebook. Is your perfume Miss Dior? I am thinking of committing to Miss Dior… My friend told me to try Lancome’s mascara – she swears by it too! - But alas I went twice to Sears and once to The Bay at Rideau and there was no one behind the counter! Figuring it simply wasn’t meant to be, I got DiorShow with shimmer and it’s quite lovely!

@ Beth – you’re welcome! You’ll have to tell me if you like it or not! And yes – since I started out with ‘expensive’ make up to match my skin tone I haven’t looked back... and I figure I put it on every day, so it’s absorbed into my skin every day, and into my body every day… I am of the mind that you can’t pay enough for something that you put onto your body - especially chemicals!

Carrie said...

@ B – OH sephora! One of my girlfriends just started working for sephora and she sends me little samplers here and there and they are just fantastic! I found the Maybelline mascara to clump too quickly – but the waterproof that comes in the blue and white tube was spectacular. I wore it to a water park (long story) and it stayed on the entire day. It felt awful but it was waterPROOF!

@ Princess Banter – Ha ha! That is awesome. Yes to the creator of mascara – before I used it I never understood why… and now I truly truly cannot live without it!!

@ Tbone – I agree completely!!

@ LeiselB – Haha thanks girl!

@ brookem – Hey, if it works for you then all the power to ya! I just didn’t like how hard it was to wash Maybelline’s waterproof mascara off – I felt like I had to literally claw my eyes out lashes first!

megabrooke said...

yeah... it can be tough. i highly suggest almay eye makeup remover pads- NOT the oily kind, gross.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you won't be "saving" stuff anymore! Life's too short! Celebrate every moment of your life with the good wine, the good mascara, the good whatever!

The Exception said...

Definitely wear it!! When you find something you like and it makes you feel good; it is worth wearing each and every day. It might just b that "pick - me - up" that you need on one of "those" days.

(I spend a fortune on shampoo, weird, but true)

Emily said...

Ok, I recently had a similar revelation, but about wine. I love wine and occassionally buy a few nice bottles, but then they sit there waiting for a special occasion. I got fed up with waiting, so the other night I opened one of them at dinner -- couldn't have been happier about it. :)